The doctoral dissertation
- The doctoral dissertation may be a written dissertation, including a scientific monograph; a collection of published and thematically related scientific articles; design, construction, technological, implementation or artistic work; as well as an independent and separate part of a collective work.
- The doctoral dissertation demonstrates the candidate’s general theoretical knowledge in a discipline (or disciplines) and the ability to conduct research or artistic work independently.
- The subject matter of the doctoral dissertation shall be an original solution to a scientific problem or in terms of the application of results of own scientific research in the economic or social sphere, or an original artistic achievement.
NOTE: The doctoral student submits the dissertation 2 times in total:
- the first time: at the end of training in the doctoral school under the rules defined by the school, obtaining in this way confirmation of the achievement of learning outcomes for qualifications at level 8 PQF. This dissertation stays in the doctoral student’s personal file;
- the next time: at the initiation of the procedure for the award of the doctoral degree under the rules specified by the competent Scientific Council of an institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences or the Disciplinary Council of the University;
- the doctoral dissertation submitted at the end of training at the doctoral school should be prepared according to the same guidelines that apply to the relevant Scientific Council or the Discipline Council of the KISD unit (requirements as to the layout, first page, etc.).
Completion of education at KISD
- The training in the doctoral school ends with the submission of a dissertation.
- The schedule for the preparation of the doctoral dissertation and the date of its submission are specified in the doctoral student’s individual research proposal (IPB).
- Before submitting the doctoral dissertation, the doctoral student is required to document the achievement of all learning outcomes and fulfillment of the conditions specified in the KISD Education Program, therefore the doctoral student must have an approved annual report for the last year of education at the doctoral school.
- The doctoral student submits an annual report for the last year of education no later than 21 days before submitting the doctoral dissertation.
The procedure for submitting a doctoral dissertation
- Prior to submission, the doctoral student presents the dissertation along with the required attachments to the appropriate Deputy Director of KISD and obtains his signature on the “dissertation submission form“.
- The doctoral dissertation shall be submitted by the doctoral student in one copy to the Director of KISD through the KISD secretariat.
- The doctoral student shall attach to the dissertation:
- the dissertation submission form,
- an electronic version of the doctoral dissertation,
- positive opinion of the appointed supervisor; if two supervisors are appointed, each of them prepares a separate opinion; the auxiliary supervisor does not prepare an opinion,
- in the case of a doctoral dissertation prepared in Polish, a summary in English, and in the case of a doctoral dissertation prepared in a foreign language, also a summary in Polish,
- if the doctoral dissertation is not a written dissertation, a description in Polish and English shall be attached.
4. The date of confirmation by the KISD Director of the submission of the dissertation along with the required attachments is the date of completion of education at the doctoral school.
5. After submitting the doctoral dissertation and meeting all the requirements set out in the KISD Training Program, the doctoral student is entitled to submit an application for a certificate of completion of education at the doctoral school. The certificate confirms the achievement of learning outcomes for qualifications at level 8 of the Polish Qualifications Framework (8PRK).
- KISD Director’s Decree No.2/2023_changes in the procedure for submitting a doctoral dissertation_consolidated text (PL: download)
- dissertation submission form
- opinion of the appointed supervisor
- application for a certificate of completion of education at the doctoral school
- KISD Director’s Decree No.3/2023_template of the certificate of completion of education at KISD (PL: download)
Initiation of the procedure for the award of the doctoral degree
The initiation of the procedure for the award of the doctoral degree takes place at the request of the doctoral student, in accordance with the procedure and rules established by the competent Scientific Council of an institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences or the Disciplinary Council of the University. Detailed information on how to initiate the procedure for awarding the doctoral degree is available in individual units of the KISD.
Shortening the training period:
A doctoral student who has achieved all the learning outcomes, has met the conditions set out in the KISD Training Program and has met the goals set out in the individual research proposal may submit the dissertation earlier than originally planned. The submission of the dissertation means the end of the training and the loss of the status of doctoral student.
Important: A doctoral student who submits his/her doctoral dissertation earlier than the date of completion of education provided for in the curriculum, shall receive the doctoral scholarship until the date of expiry of the deadline for the completion of education, but not longer than for 6 months.
Extending the training period:
The deadline for the submission of the dissertation may be extended, but for no longer than 2 years, on the terms set out in the Organizational Regulations of KISD. During the extension of education, the doctoral student still has the status of a doctoral student. Extending the period of education requires the submission of an update of the individual research plan, indicating activities in the additional period of education and a new date for submitting the doctoral dissertation. The update of the individual research proposal is submitted by the doctoral student together with the application for the extension of the deadline for submitting the doctoral dissertation.
Important: After 4 years, the doctoral student loses the right to a doctoral scholarship, therefore, during the extension, he does not receive a doctoral scholarship.