One of the goals of the Krakow School of Interdisciplinary PhD Studies is the development of international cooperation in the field of doctoral education, leading to an increase in both research and educational quality.
Possible forms of international cooperation in the field of doctoral education:
Joint supervision/ Co-supervision/ Codirection
This is the easiest form of preparing a doctoral dissertation in international cooperation. In this case, cooperation does not have to be formalized in a written contract. The appointment of a supervisor from a foreign scientific institution is based on the rules applicable in a given KISD unit. This solution is advantageous when institutions cannot agree on the conditions for awarding a double or joint degree.
A doctoral student is admitted to KISD and may have one of the supervisors from a foreign institution and should stay at an external institution for a specified period of time. This solution is based on existing research cooperation, where doctoral students use the knowledge of specialists from another university, but do not require institutionalized, long-term academic cooperation.
The doctoral degree is awarded only by the appropriate unit of KISD. All supervisors should be listed in the diploma and certificate of completion of the doctoral school.
The double doctoral degree is awarded by two institutions, i.e. the appropriate unit of KISD and a foreign scientific institution.
A doctoral student is admitted to a doctoral school/doctoral studies and, after meeting all requirements, is awarded a separate doctoral degree in each institution on the basis of one defense. This requires mutual recognition by institutions of a doctoral student’s participation in courses and activities carried out in a partner unit. It is also necessary for the doctoral student to complete an internship at a partner unit.
A double PhD degree requires the preparation of a formal agreement. The agreement is concluded between two cooperating institutions and regulates, in particular, the admission of candidates, description of activities, rules of access to the infrastructure of a given unit, evaluation of the doctoral dissertation and the method of awarding the degree. The agreement should guarantee the possibility of meeting the requirements necessary to award a doctoral degree in each institution.
The office of the Krakow School of Interdisciplinary PhD Studies provides a template of the contract to KISD units.
A joint doctoral education program is a more complex form of cooperation between institutions, requiring a high degree of integration. Doctoral students are admitted under one joint international training program, and the institutions share responsibility for all aspects of training, supervision and the awarding of one joint doctoral degree.
The joint doctoral program is seen as a further development of cooperation between institutions. This poses major challenges, given the need to reconcile different university traditions, standards and formal rules.
Why is it worth considering preparing a doctoral dissertation as part of international cooperation?
- It naturally enables the doctoral student to receive education at an international level, rich in foreign mobility;
- Working in an international environment is becoming an everyday occurrence;
- It allows you to obtain a doctoral degree at two universities in a much shorter time than obtaining them independently;
- Opportunities for career development and professional network building can be increased;
- You can continuously develop your language proficiency.
If you are interested in preparing a doctoral dissertation, it is worth establishing cooperation with a foreign unit already in the first year of education and defining the principles of joint education and awarding a doctoral degree.
Guidelines for establishing international cooperation at KISD:
Anyone who would like to establish international cooperation in the field of doctoral education, should apply to the authorities of a given KISD unit to consider formal cooperation with the foreign unit indicated by them.
When reporting to the authorities of the KISD unit, you should attach an assessment of the potential foreign institution based on the following criteria:
- strategy and policy of the foreign institution compared to the strategy and policy of the KISD unit;
- reputation and quality of education and research of the foreign institution;
- demand for building cooperation among doctoral students and scientific staff of the KISD unit;
- mutual benefits from cooperation for the KISD unit and the foreign institution;
- administrative regulations and national legislation in both units and the possibility of reconciling them (e.g. requirements for the appointment of a supervisor, duration of education and possibilities of extending education, form and scope of the doctoral dissertation, form of defense of the diploma thesis, requirements for members of the examination committee, etc. );
- human resources available for administrative support in the KISD unit and the foreign institution.
It is advisable to contact the legal advisor of a given KISD unit to discuss the possibility of cooperation.
If a foreign institution is accepted as a cooperation partner in the field of doctoral education, a letter of intent or an agreement is signed between the KISD unit and the foreign unit.
Representatives of the KISD unit and the foreign institution, in cooperation with legal advisors, prepare an agreement regarding a doctoral program leading to a double/joint doctoral degree. This agreement includes in particular:
- method of implementing cooperation between the Parties in the field of research and teaching;
- exchange of specialist knowledge, know-how, materials;
- degree program structure and duration;
- organization of academic exchange;
- prepariation of the thesis ad final exams;
- granting of title;
- management of the degree program;
- transfer and protecion of personal data;
- management of intellectual property rights.
After acceptance by both institutions, the contract is signed by authorized persons.