(+48) 12 662 8344

For foreigners

1. Recruitment.

Foreign candidates are required to apply on the same recruitment rules as Polish candidates. Detailed recruitment rules are available here: Recruitment Regulations for KISD. The exam is conducted in Polish or English.

2. Arrival in Poland.

PhD students from the European Union or the Schengen area may cross the border on the basis of a valid identity document, e.g. passport or ID card.  

PhD students coming from outside the European Union or the Schengen area should have a visa authorizing them to enter the territory of Poland. A visa can be obtained at the Polish Consulate in the country of origin, on the basis of a decision on admission to education at a doctoral school. Visa procedures sometimes take several weeks.

List of Polish consular offices

Office for Foreigners

3. Legalization of stay in Poland

Persons from countries outside the European Union or EFTA may stay legally in Poland for up to 3 months from the date of crossing the border. During this time, they must have a valid passport and a valid visa, if required. A foreigner may extend the period of stay in Poland by submitting an application for a temporary residence permit.

Formalities relating to the legalization of stay in Poland are dealt with in Małopolska Provincial Office, Department for Foreigners, ul. Przy Rondzie 6, Krakow.

4. Temporary residence

Registration for temporary residence on the territory of Poland can be made at the Department of Administrative Affairs, Population Register Department, al. Powstania Warszawskiego 10 (for residents of the Podgórze district, ul. Wielicka 28A). For the temporary residence procedure, you must have a document confirming your residence at a given address, e.g. a document from the dorm’s management, a rental agreement or a special form with the owner’s consent to temporary residence.

More information about the procedure in Polish

5. PESEL number

The PESEL number is an eleven-digit numeric symbol that uniquely identifies a person.

More information about the PESEL number in Polish

The PESEL number is issued ex officio to persons registered in Poland for a stay of more than 30 days. The PESEL number can also be obtained on request.

More information on how to obtain a PESEL number

6. Doctoral scholarships

Each doctoral student who does not hold a doctoral degree receives a doctoral scholarship.

More information about the PhD scholarship

7. Bank account number

In order to open a Polish bank account, documents required at a given bank must be presented. The foreigner is usually asked to present documents confirming the legality of his stay in Poland and allowing verification of identity. Before going to the bank, it is worth contacting the hotline in advance and checking, among others:

  • what documents will be necessary to open an account,
  • will the bank require a PESEL number to open an account,
  • whether the bank’s branches serve customers in English,
  • whether all additional services related to a given account are available for foreigners.

8. Public transport in Krakow

The public transport in Krakow is handled by Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Komunikacyjne S.A. in Krakow

The bus and tram timetable

The application “Jak dojadę” allows you to search for the most convenient option of public transport.

9. Travelling abroad

With a valid Polish residence card, you can travel without a visa within the territory of other Schengen member states for a period not exceeding 90 days within each 180-day period. During the journey you must have: a valid residence card, a valid passport and proof of health insurance.

The Schengen area countries include: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Luxemburg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Italy, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, as well as Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland (the last 4 countries are part of the Schengen area but not the EU).

Please note that the UK is not a member of the Schengen Area, so you will need to obtain a UK visa in advance to enter the UK.

10. Information about Poland